Under the direct supervision of a Campaign Director, the Campaign Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to lead targeted outreach that advances advocacy campaign goals and provide communications support to the advocacy team. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with diverse Chicagoland communities, coordinating online advocacy communications and producing editorial content on campaign news and achievements.
This full-time, salaried position is available beginning May 1, 2015.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities
- Build diverse, regional coalitions of support for advocacy campaign goals, with support of Active Trans staff, partners and volunteers
- Work with campaign directors to coordinate advocacy communications across campaigns
- Maintain and update advocacy outreach database for individuals, and community and civic organizations
- Serve as point of contact for Active Trans partners and community supporters, helping filter and direct incoming requests to appropriate team members
- Assist with media advocacy and other advocacy communications such as blogs, letters to the editor, press releases, action alerts, web content, etc.
- Develop materials and tools to empower local partners
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Frequent travel throughout Chicago and surrounding suburbs via biking, walking, public transportation or car share
- Occasional evening and weekend work hours required for community meetings, events, etc.
- Participation in obligatory Active Trans organizational events and activities as assigned
- A passion for and understanding of the transformational nature of walking, bicycling and transit on health, community livability, and sustainability. A commitment to Active Transportation Alliance mission, vision and goals
- 1-3 years of demonstrated communications or outreach experience
- Experience in advocacy, community engagement and coalition building, particularly among diverse populations
- Superior communication skills, including written, presentational and media-related
- Ability to work with online media platforms, including social media and web content management systems
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Familiarity with Chicago and suburban communities and units of government
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Ability to lift and carry items up to 25 lbs.
Send a resume and cover letter to Kyle Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the words ‘Campaign Coordinator’ in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be accepted. No phone calls, please.
This position is open until filled. For priority consideration, please submit application no later than April 3, 2015.